Masdar Arlington specialises in the development, construction and commercial operations of utility scale battery energy storage projects. The 2022 acquisition of Arlington Energy by Masdar (Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company) will enable the roll out of a 3GWh+ UK BESS pipeline. Masdar have ambitions to develop 100GW of renewable capacity globally by 2030.
The Performance Analyst will support the Commercial Operations team with the BESS optimisation strategy, commercial modelling, BESS technology selection, RfP process and contract negotiations for EPC, O&M and optimisation, new business development opportunities including assessment of new technologies, Capacity Market process and insurance of the portfolio. The candidate will also play a key role in engaging with Masdar Arlington stakeholders and ensuring tasks are coordinated and executed effectively.
BESS commercial modelling
· Develop the revenue stack and business case for BESSs in the Masdar Arlington pipeline
· Benchmark existing BESSs in the UK by assessing UK tenders in the ancillary services markets and merchant trading (BM/wholesale).
· Evaluate the impact of BESS degradation on commercial asset performance in various markets
· Develop revenue stream models around networking charges, including TNUoS, TRIADs, and DUoS.
· Analyse new BESS revenue streams including reactive power markets, stability pathfinder, black start and co-location opportunities with renewables.
· Contribute to developing financial models with the Directors to calculate project IRR and support decisions around project CAPEX and OPEX.
· Assess the potential benefits of locational balancing and feedback suggestions to the Project Development team on locations.
· Work with consultant and data providers to assess the broader energy market including a long-term view on commodity prices (gas, carbon) renewable deployment (wind, solar etc), interconnectors and battery storage build out.
Capacity Market coordination
· Model revenue streams obtained in the Capacity Market auctions and contribute to the annual bidding strategy.
· Manage each site’s capacity market compliance process from prequalification, auction participation, financial completion milestone and substantial (technical) completion milestones.
· Manage the testing process for when sites become operational
· Assess the latest regulatory changes to take place in the capacity market.
Support in developing EPC/supply, O&M and Optimisation contracts
· Contribute to the development of site designs including an assessment of BESS duration.
· Ensure technical parameters of the BESS are aligned with commercial objectives.
· Assess the performance of optimisers using data analytics.
· Review the benefits of Optimisation contracts backed by floor proposals.
· Project coordinate the Optimisation contract RfP process
Tech procurement and RfP process
· Project coordinate the RfP process for BESS procurement, including engagement with suppliers.
· Develop models around different BESS suppliers commercial and technical offering
· Benchmark different companies to evaluate a procurement strategy
· Analyse the cost of raw materials for BESS, and understand any implications this could have on CAPEX which are index linked
· Work with the Delivery team to understand viable Commercial Operations Dates for the pipeline
New markets and technologies
· Model the revenue stack and business case for BESS internationally
· Assess the case for BtM storage
· Review opportunities for other technologies, including solar, wind and hydrogen
· Assess the integration of BESS with wider Masdar global pipeline
Develop the mid-term to long-term protocol for managing optimisation and asset management
· Develop the protocol reporting requirements for assets which become operational, including optimisation and O&M
· Review initiatives for how optimisation should be taken in-house and assess which subscription tools are required
· Review price forecasting algorithms
· Proven capability in modelling with intermediate excel skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or any other related field
· Master’s degree in a relevant field
· Stats, coding or data science experience is a bonus.
· Seeking a candidate with minimum 2 year of analytical experience in the energy sector
· Experience of managing assets during commercial operations.
· Knowledge of the Optimisation business.
· BESS specific knowledge, including degradation, is a bonus.
· Knowledge of renewable assets in commercial operations.
· Analytical mindset with attention to detail on modelling and reporting
· Understanding technical performances of renewable energy assets.
· Passion for all things to do with tech, energy markets and sustainability.