At Modo Energy, we're on a mission to build the information architecture for the energy transition - we're the most accessible and comprehensive place to come to for information on the global energy transitions to net zero.
We're a dedicated and passionate team building a category-defining business, working on one of the most important missions the world needs. We are looking for individuals who love product-building, want to work with pace at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a rapidly growing team.
Who are we looking for?
Modo Energy is seeking an Energy Modeler who sits within our global modeling team and reports to the Director of Modeling. The modeling team's key objective is the development, maintenance and operation of our forecasting models.
Though every day will be different, you can expect to spend time:
- Sourcing, processing, analyzing and interpreting large & complex datasets to support both research and the wider company.
- Developing our power market and dispatch models to grow and enhance Modo’s product offering. This will be using Python, and the standard scientific computing stack (Numpy, Pandas, SciPy, ScikitLearn, etc.).
- Working closely with our product and analytics functions to ensure the product we deliver aligns closely with user needs and provides value to the wider Modo team.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Exceptional quantitative skills and a top degree in a quantitative field: maths, engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry, biology.
- Experience using Python (or another programming language e.g. R, C++, Java) and with the scientific computing stack for data analysis and data science.
- Great technical communication and exceptional technical problem-solving skills.
- A self-starter attitude, with an eagerness to dive headfirst into problems and pick things up quickly.
We’d love it if you also have:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of classical optimization techniques
- Knowledge or previous experience in energy modeling, with a specific focus on the ERCOT system.
- Understanding of SaaS best practices.
Our Core Values:
- All Star Team: All of your colleagues are extraordinary at what they do and are highly effective collaborators
- Learn by Doing: We seek learning opportunities and thrive outside our comfort zone
- Freedom & Responsibility: We trust our team to do what they think is best for Modo- giving them lots of freedom, power, and information in support of their decisions
- Low Process, High Ethics: At its heart, Modo is a creative technology business, not a safety-critical business
How & Where we Work:
- Hybrid: You split your time between working from home and working at your local office location - Tuesday - Thursday
- Mondays & Fridays are up to you to work from home or come into the office!
What you can expect from Modo
We want to attract and retain the best talent at Modo, and we give our people the freedom and opportunity to develop themselves and flourish.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team at Modo, as we believe a variety of backgrounds, skills and interests is what makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for supporting the transition to greener energy systems, we encourage you to apply. We have a number of positions open which could be for a range of backgrounds and experience levels. Please get in touch if you are interested and you don’t meet all the requirements, or if you exceed them!
Please check out our candidate handbook to find out more about our values, principles and methods for doing this, including our equality and diversity statement, training, flexible working, and benefits