Graduate Shift Energy Trader
The continued success of the company, widening market access and new services have created the requirement for a Graduate Shift Energy Trader to join our team. Working within our existing Trading team and reporting to the Head of Trading, you will be responsible for supporting Flexitricity’s objective to be a market leading optimisation service, optimising a variety of assets in the wholesale markets, Balancing Mechanism, and balancing services.
Core duties will include:
- Maximise profit through optimisation and dispatch of all flexible assets traded by Flexitricity. These include a mixture of battery energy storage systems (BESS), gas peakers, and CHP sites, and will grow to include other asset classes in the future.
- Proactively seek to re-optimise open positions, driving increased value capture.
- Trade power, gas, and carbon exposure on relevant exchanges and / or via trading partners.
- Uphold integrity of the markets, comply with internal and external policies, and regulations.
- Regular assessment of market fundamentals feeding into the optimisation strategies and for external customers.
- User acceptance testing (UAT) of new systems being deployed on the trading desk.
- Ensure accurate trade allocation and scheduling of assets; and
- Challenge the status quo, encourage continuous development to increase profitability
This is a graduate role with full training and support provided, including working towards passing EPEX trading exams. Typically it will take 3-4 months before becoming part of the on-shift trading team.
However, we would be looking for candidates to demonstrate:
- A passion to work in a highly motivated team at the forefront of the green energy revolution, demonstrating any relevant industry experience;
- Strong numerical skills to support trade analytics and market analysis;A broad understanding of wholesale energy market drivers and various markets that distributed generation assets typically participate in;
- An ability to grasp technical concepts such as how round-trip efficiency and cycle limits for BESS assets, or engine efficiency for gas peakers, might affect trading strategies;
- Demonstrate innovative and out-of-the-box thinking;
- High level of IT literacy; and,
- Willingness to in a 24/7 shift rota including nights, weekends, and bank holidays.
Degree (or equivalent), preferably in a numerical subject such as Mathematics or Economics, or can show demonstrable experience.