Grid Ancillary Services Lead
Do you want to work to make Power for Good?
We're the world's largest independent renewable energy company. We're driven by a simple yet powerful vision: to create a future where everyone has access to affordable, zero carbon energy.
We know that achieving our ambitions would be impossible without our people. Because we're tackling some of the world's toughest problems, we need the very best people to help us. They're our most important asset so that's why we continually invest in them.
RES is a family with a diverse workforce, and we are dedicated to the personal professional growth of our people, no matter what stage of their career they're at. We can promise you rewarding work which makes a real impact, the chance to learn from inspiring colleagues from across a growing, global network and opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Our competitive package offers rewards and benefits including pension schemes, flexible working, and top-down emphasis on better work-life balance. We also offer private healthcare, discounted green travel, 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell five days per annum, enhanced family leave and four volunteering days per year so you can make an impact somewhere else.
As Grid Ancillary Services Lead you will:
- Develop, review and enhance the Grid strategy concerning renewable assets managed by UK&I Asset Management Team.
- Monitor any changes to Grid regulation, policies and ancillary services as they may apply to Support Services client assets. Typical areas of interest will include, as a minimum, grid charging, NGESO pathfinder tenders, NGESO ancillary service procurement, DS3 services, DSO services.
- Work with Routes to Market Team to develop and participate in new Grid Ancillary Services for operational assets. Routes to Market Team will provide commercial input and Grid Ancillary Services Lead will provide technical input and ensure compliance during participation.
- Provide a Monthly Grid Strategy report to UK&I Asset Management Team
- Join regular meetings with UK&I Energy networks Team, Routes to Market Team and Control Centre Manager and share information with UK&I Asset Management team
- Understand and interpret client needs, communicating client goals to internal and external stakeholders
- Coordinate the end-to-end delivery of Grid related services and one-off projects on behalf of clients.
- Be the first point of call for technical grid connection agreement or grid compliance queries
- Ensure all Grid related activity is linked back to the client specific Value Enhancement Plans – demonstrating the value of RES as AM
- Have a commercial awareness of the existing Asset Management Agreements and identifying which elements of our Grid services are in or out of scope
- Identify additional Grid Services which could be delivered as Chargeable Services and manage these services to completion using existing resource. Monitor financial upside of these services per project, client, technology and portfolio.
- Lead on areas of personal expertise as part of the Operations Support Team goals and Manage ad-hoc Grid queries from the Asset Managers. Active participation in Continuous Improvement and innovation projects.
- Support our growth and cost reduction targets.
- Be the first contact within UK&I Asset Management Team for all Grid related issues.
- Issue regular Grid Strategy reports to the UK&I Asset Management Team
- Prepare and provide presentations and reports for Asset Management team and/or clients
- Lead on the development of status reporting to identify Grid activity across entire portfolio
- Coordinate resources within the business where necessary and ensuring that appropriate contracts are agreed with clients and time and cost is accounted for appropriately within the business.
- Collaborate with the Energy Networks Team, Routes to Market Team and RES Control Centre to create a central point of contact for Grid related content/reports/activities
- Work with Asset Managers and Site Operations Managers to ensure any Grid activity at site level is fed back and included in regular asset reports issued to clients
- Increase team awareness on Grid issues/services through presentations and workshops
- Support the asset management team with the Integration and adoption of wind, solar and battery storage projects.
- Work with clients to identify their requirements and main points of contact
- Attend Industry Events and contribute to industry consultations
- Engage with DNO/TSO if grid compliance issues are identified on sites within the RES portfolio
- Engage with OEMs where required on projects that involve testing or hardware/software updates by the OEM, ensuring obligations of the connection agreement are met.
Alongside the technical accountabilities, the role will also require:
- Travel within UK, Ireland and Europe
- Attendance at conferences including presenting at public events to enhance RES's visibility in the market
- Grid Ancillary Services relating to operational renewable assets including Wind, Solar PV and Battery Storage
- Grid related regulations, policies and industry consultations for distribution, transmission or ICP connected renewable generation
- Knowledge of wind turbine, battery energy storage systems and solar technology, health and safety management systems, quality and environmental management systems and work control procedures.
- Electrical Safety rules in the context of Renewable Energy Infrastructure
- HV Electrical Equipment and Industry Standards
- CDM Regulations.
- Planning and organising
- Completer finisher
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Willingness to travel
- Commercial Awareness
- Project management
- Dealing with Grid related issues on operational renewable assets
- Project Management in an engineering environment. Renewables preferred
- Experience of Wind and Solar technology. Battery Storage experience advantageous
- Manage budgets and project costs
- Contract specification review and preparation
- Degree/HND or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering or relevant Business / Commercial discipline
At RES we celebrate difference as we know it makes our company a great place to work. Encouraging applicants with different backgrounds, ideas and points of view, we create teams who work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Do you want to work to make Power for Good?