Director of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS)
Novasource Power Services is the largest global provider of PV O&M services and is managing a portfolio of over 2GW of BESS projects which we operate on behalf of our customers, with the expectation of rapid growth over the coming years.
BESS is a complex system, which requires technical and financial optimization and a deep understanding of the power markets in which it operates. You will help us develop industry-leading service offerings that enable us to act like an owner and partner with our customers to enable them to achieve the full revenue entitlement from their investments.
- 10+ years of industry experience within remote renewable energy and/or storage systems (e.g. solar, wind, battery storage, hydrogen power systems)
- 5+ years of product or general management experience
- 2+ years of focused battery energy storage experience desired
- Experience comes in many forms. If you feel you are qualified and do not fit these parameters, feel free to apply and make the case of how your experience will help us achieve the goals of this position.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Create the strategy for an owner-centric BESS service product
- Develop the plan to create a service product that provides added value to our customers by delivering exceptional service, actionable analytics, and enabling our customers to maximize revenue from their BESS investments
- Advocate in the market for the service line being managed including supporting conferences and speaking engagements
- Keep up to date on power markets and proactively identify opportunities to enhance the performance of a BESS asset
- Maintain relationships with BESS OEMs
- Establish standards for operations and maintenance of a variety of BESS technologies
- Assist in bidding and contract negotiation process during the early stages of product development
- Develop sales and marketing materials and support documentation
- Be responsible for the success of the BESS product line at Novasource
- Work with sales and execution teams to implement the product strategy on a global scale
- Provide leadership on commercial structures necessary to mitigate and manage risk appropriately
- Build cross-functional relationships and excitement across the company for new product lines
- Assess the quality of execution of the service and address shortfalls
- Maintain a feedback loop between the execution and the scope of work, cost models, and commercial structures used to manage the service lines
- Create and update cost model inputs to ensure accurate estimating and bidding of projects
- Build a team to deliver on the rapidly scaling BESS opportunity
- Develop reports to the executive and board levels to track results against the plan
- Work with digital implementation teams to build next-generation analytics
- Work with NovaSource’s development team to develop next-generation BESS analytics
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- A strong technical fundamental baseline in the design and operations of energy systems
- Market research
- Building out business plans
- Understand financial models used in energy projects
- Ability to present complex ideas to various audiences from technical to executive level perspectives
- Contract negotiations
- Travel up to 25% of the time throughout the US and Canada to visit remote power plant locations, observe maintenance practices, and train staff.
- Ability and license to drive to remote power plant locations
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder height and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron, and arm guards)
Office Physical Requirements:
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best serve our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing undue hardship.
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: It is NovaSource Power Services’ policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. NSPS disapproves of, and will not tolerate, unlawful discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, religion, disability, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.