Commercial Operations Manager
A bit about Field
To reach Net Zero, we need to solve big challenges. Field will fund, build and run the renewable infrastructure we need to tackle these challenges. At Field, we will show that batteries are a totally viable part of our energy infrastructure - now, not in some distant future.
And, we have ambitious plans to become the defining new clean energy player in UK & Europe over the next few years, gradually expanding beyond batteries into new asset types.
Commercial Operations Manager is a critical role for Field. The role would be responsible for managing our portfolio of live energy storage projects, from preparations for go-live to end-of-life.
This is a wide-ranging role including, but not be limited to, reporting on O&M status, availability and revenue performance, management and escalation of warranty claims, monitoring compliance with our HSEQ obligations, general compliance & regulatory management of projects, supporting revenue recognition of sites with our Finance team, defining and executing on repowering/augmentation plans, and managing end-of-life actions/decommissioning.
This is a broad and varied role with the opportunity to have massive impact. Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that all our projects are appropriately revenue ready
- Project managing our sites through the end-to-end revenue readiness process, working closely with our construction project managers. Actions including, but not limited to:
- Generation licence applications and follow-up
- BM/ELEXON, MPAN registrations
- Meter operator appointments, ordering, and installations
- Ancillary services qualification testing
- Capacity Market prequalification, bidding and milestone follow-up
- Interface management through cold commissioning, hot commissioning, and into live operations
- Ongoing asset operations
- Act as the key point of contact with our out-sourced asset manager (and O&M providers where necessary)
- Ensure close management and monitoring of warranty conditions, and if necessary, manage any claim process
- Closely monitor new regulations, market auction timelines, and ensure all our assets are appropriately licensed/registered
- 3rd party optimisation interface management
- Closely support the evaluation process in tender for 3rd party optimisation partners, in partnership with our procurement team
- Work with 3rd party optimisers to connect assets, decide trading strategy, manage ongoing reporting, and troubleshoot any issues
- Work with 3rd party SCADA/PPC providers e.g. Inaccess, Krakenflex to connect assets
- In-house optimisation
- Work closely with our internal tech team, to ensure we connect to our assets to schedule (when we are optimising in-house)
- Provide detailed trading input to our in-house technology team to feed into the product development roadmap
- Repowering and augmentation strategy and implementation
- Work with our BESS engineer, analysis team and optimisation team (3rd party and in-house) to define our optimal repowering and augmentation strategy for each project
- Work with procurement to align timings for feasible delivery
- Asset compliance
- Ensure compliance with our licence conditions, including grid and distribution code obligations
- Manage reporting of live operations (for project SPV, for lenders, for investors, and for broader company)
- Work in conjunction with the Finance and optimisation team to audit how our revenue is recognised e.g. confirm what actions were taken, and why
- Monitor performance, and escalate any issues (warranties, availability, …)
A bit about you
- You’re an open, clear communicator who enjoys working collaboratively - there are no ‘lone wolves’ at Field, we’re all in this together
- You’re a great leader - you have a clear vision, high standards and you know how to get people motivated, aligned and delivering
- You’re very organised - you’ll be spinning a few plates at once, so you’ll need to have tried and tested methods for keeping on top of a varied workload at your fingertips
- You’re enthusiastic, curious and knowledgeable about the energy storage industry
- Experience setting up commercial operations for live battery or similar net-zero-enabling projects
- Exceptional project management skill set, with experience managing complex interdependencies
- Excellent understanding of battery revenue streams
- Experience managing 3rd party battery optimisers, and tendering for their services
- Experience in GB energy markets; Italy, Spain and Germany is a plus
Why join us?
- Genuine impact: You will actually be building and operating the renewable infrastructure we need to reach net zero. This is not a green CSR initiative, but a company that is taking a leading role in building one of the critical solutions to a generational problem.
- Make things happen: We are still a relatively early stage company, and you will have significant accountability to make things happen from day one. You will have a lot of autonomy, will learn quickly, and be given a LOT of room to grow.
- Define a new industry: The energy market is in a paradigm shift right now, evolving at a breathtaking pace, and you will play a leading role in defining how that market evolves and innovates over the next few years.
- Exceptional team: We are an eclectic team with varied backgrounds. We have experience scaling billion dollar tech start-ups and building energy companies, as well as deep specialisms in the energy markets. You will learn from and work with a bunch of fun, curious, and entrepreneurial people who really want to make an impact.
- Move fast - We’re finishers. Doers. Pragmatists. We take responsibility. We see things through and we always deliver on our promises. We roll up our sleeves and get things done. FAST.
- Know your stuff - We’re curious and pride ourselves on always learning, adapting and improving. There are no stupid questions here. We’re self-starters. We’re all learning and growing, always. And we take accountability for our own growth
- Do it right - We do things the right way and never cut corners. We always put safety above profit. We carefully manage the impact of our work on local communities and the broader environment. We are intentional and act with integrity at all times.
- Work for the team - We are friendly and approachable. We make time for one another, we lean on each other. We learn from one another, and we value diversity of thought and experience so we learn faster and get better
Equality, Diversity & inclusion
Diverse teams make better teams. Field is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender expression, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity status, race, nationality, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
We’re offering a competitive compensation package, including participation in our growth share scheme which rewards all employees for the growth of the business.
Other benefits include
- Hybrid working (blend of home and office working to suit individual needs)
- NEST Pension (8% combined contributions)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Annual learning & development budget to spend on whatever best supports your growth
- 1 month a year ‘work from anywhere in the world’ policy
- 3 months paid family leave (maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental)
- Paid dependents leave, in case you need to take time off for the most important people in your life
- Green leave - paid time off to do something good for the environment
- Fun co-working office space in Second Home, Brick Lane
- Dog friendly office (with some regular furry friends already in the team)
- Free team lunch once a week
- Regular team socials
- Birthday carbon offset - a gift from Field to the world to celebrate your birthday
- & many more on the way!
Your application has been successfully submitted.